Sunday 2 December 2012

Hexagon quilt



I decided a while ago that I would like to make a quilt with hexagons, using the English paper piecing technique.  Having made a bag before using 1/2" hexagons, I knew that I could handle this size and as I just wanted it for a central panel, rather than a whole quilt, this was the size I decided to use.  I purchased laser cut paper templates and cut all my pieces out (all 725 of them) and put it in a little sewing bag with sewing supplies and took it with on every car journey we made.  I even took it with to America and stitched on the plane and also on the coach.  It has taken just over 2 months and I have now stitched all the hexagons to the background fabric.





The pattern I am using is one by Jeanette Huff in her book "Quilts from Grandmother's Garden". Today I have prepared all my 'leaves' for appliqueing and plan to start stitching them in place tomorrow.  I can then cut the central panel to size and decide on the design for the borders, which I want to do in a round robin style.

 With temperatures dropping to -4 degrees over the last 4 nights, we have now reached winter.   I might have to get the kingsize quilt top that I have made nearly 3 years ago, quilted.  I made it for our bed, but never quilted it as the thought of quilting a kingsize quilt on my domestic machine, just frustrated me.  Why I didn't do it as a quilt-as-you go top, I do not know and why I haven't unpicked it and changed it into a q-a-y-g I know even less, but now that I have my Handiquilter, I have no more excuses, so I might get it started in next week.






No comments:

Post a Comment